Welcome to the Borough of Franklin
Franklin Borough, incorporated in 1913, is located in beautiful Sussex County. The Borough has a population of just over 5,000 people with an area of 4.6 square miles. Known as the “Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World”, Franklin Borough is widely recognized for its rich ore body containing more than 150 minerals, many of which have fluorescent properties. A number of these minerals are found nowhere else in the world.
Franklin has a rich mining history. Zinc and iron were mined by small companies in the 1800’s. In 1897 the New Jersey Zinc Company took control of mining operations and became a major influence in the Borough’s development until the mine closed in 1954.
Today, the Borough’s strategic location and natural beauty have helped it achieve recognition as a great place to live and shop. Franklin’s amenities include a beautiful pond recreation area, schools and parks in a rural setting with the added convenience of nearby commercial activities. The Route 23 corridor is truly a destination for retail shopping and banking while other areas in the Borough retain the distinctive character and down home advantages of small town living.
The Borough’s many volunteer groups and institutions support the town and contribute to a strong sense of community pride. The Fire Department, First Aid Squad, Recreation, American Legion, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Historical Society, senior groups, churches and numerous other organizations provide the essential services and amenities that make Franklin Borough a great place to live.
This website is a resource to help residents and visitors become better acquainted with Franklin, get information and assist in doing business in the Borough.
– NOTICES –
- The Borough of Franklin Recreation Commission meeting scheduled for Thursday, November 19, 2015 has been cancelled. All business will be carried to the next regular meeting scheduled for Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 7:00PM to be held at the Franklin Borough Municipal Building, 46 Main Street, Franklin, New Jersey.
- Public Notice Update: Bridge E-04 Emergency Rehab
- Annual Christmas Tree Lighting – Dec 5th – More Info
- NEW Garbage Schedule.
- Beware of Phone Scams! INFO
- PUBLIC NOTICE – Bridge E-04
- AS OF JULY 6, 2015, NEW OPERATING HOURS FOR FRANKLIN BOROUGH HALL ARE: MONDAY THRU FRIDAY – 8:30AM – 4:00PM
- Leaf & Brush Pick-Up Schedule
- FLU VACCINE and *PNEUMOCOCCAL VACCINE (*Pneumococcal 13)
Clinic Schedule – Fall 2015
- 2015 Tree Recovery Campaign Poster | Notice
RESIDENTS OF FRANKLIN PLEASE NOTE:
Slomins has an approved peddler/solicitor permit approved at the Mayor and Council meeting on February 10, 2015. The permit will be good until December 31, 2015. There are four individuals with the permits and they will be soliciting for Slomins home security and home heating.
COMMUNITY ELECTRIC SAVINGS PROGRAM
Franklin Borough Water Quality Report 2015
Sussex County Mosquito Control Information
Franklin Elementary School Budget
Franklin Recreation Donation Form
Area E Redevelopment Information
Housing Partner Foreclosure Intervention Center
Workshop – New Jersey and National – Registers of Historic Places