Please be advised that on Wednesday July 13, 2016, Sussex County Bridge E-04 on CR 631 (Franklin Avenue) in Franklin Borough shall be closing to traffic in the morning. The bridge shall remain closed for the duration of construction.
Welcome to the Borough of Franklin
Franklin Borough, incorporated in 1913, is located in beautiful Sussex County. The Borough has a population of just over 5,000 people with an area of 4.6 square miles. Known as the “Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World”, Franklin Borough is widely recognized for its rich ore body containing more than 150 minerals, many of which have fluorescent properties. A number of these minerals are found nowhere else in the world.
Franklin has a rich mining history. Zinc and iron were mined by small companies in the 1800’s. In 1897 the New Jersey Zinc Company took control of mining operations and became a major influence in the Borough’s development until the mine closed in 1954.
Today, the Borough’s strategic location and natural beauty have helped it achieve recognition as a great place to live and shop. Franklin’s amenities include a beautiful pond recreation area, schools and parks in a rural setting with the added convenience of nearby commercial activities. The Route 23 corridor is truly a destination for retail shopping and banking while other areas in the Borough retain the distinctive character and down home advantages of small town living.
The Borough’s many volunteer groups and institutions support the town and contribute to a strong sense of community pride. The Fire Department, First Aid Squad, Recreation, American Legion, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Historical Society, senior groups, churches and numerous other organizations provide the essential services and amenities that make Franklin Borough a great place to live.
This website is a resource to help residents and visitors become better acquainted with Franklin, get information and assist in doing business in the Borough.
– NOTICES –
- Franklin boys win praise for volunteerism – Details
- 2016 Gypsy Moth control Program (INFO)
- JCP&L Notice – Poles and Posters Don’t Mix (INFO)
- Sussex County MUA Recycling Services
- TREP$ Marketplace
30+ Student Vendor
Thursday, April 28th – 6:00 – 8:30 PM
Franklin Borough School Gym – 50 Washington Ave, Franklin NJ
- NOTICE OF ANNUAL SPRING HYDRANT FLUSHING -The Franklin D.P.W Water Department will begin a Hydrant Flushing Program beginning on Friday, April 1, 2016 and will continue through to the end of the month. During this program water may become discolored for brief periods of time. Residents are advised to check their water before using or doing laundry. Hydrant Flushing will be done between the hours of 9:00 pm and 2:00 am in an attempt to minimize any inconvenience. If brown water is observed please open your outside tap and flush until the brown water is eliminated. Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation during this program.
- Final Bid Spec for cell tower on Evan Street
- Bridge E-04 – Letter and resolution received 2-16-16 from County Freeholders
- Public Notice Update: Bridge E-04 Emergency Rehab
- NEW Garbage Schedule.
- Beware of Phone Scams! INFO
- PUBLIC NOTICE – Bridge E-04
- AS OF JULY 6, 2015, NEW OPERATING HOURS FOR FRANKLIN BOROUGH HALL ARE: MONDAY THRU FRIDAY – 8:30AM – 4:00PM
Immaculate Conception Students Volunteer to Update Basketball Nets at Franklin Pond
Twin brothers, Mylan and Bryce Walilko, who were sixth grade honor students at Immaculate Conception Regional School, presented a plan to clean, replace nets and refurbish the two basketball nets at the pond. The Mayor and Council supported their efforts, and Administrator Alison Littell McHose and Councilman Bob Dabinett presented citations to the twin brother during the last week of school. Mrs. Marie McKeever was the advisor for this project.
L-R: McHose, Mylan Walilko, Bryce Walilko and Councilman Dabinett.
This is Ben Muller from Troop 90 in Franklin who is repairing the benches at the pond for his Eagle Scout project!
K9 Unlimited’s Bushido K9
COMMUNITY ELECTRIC SAVINGS PROGRAM
Franklin Borough Water Quality Report 2015
Sussex County Mosquito Control Information
Franklin Elementary School Budget
Area E Redevelopment Information
Housing Partner Foreclosure Intervention Center
Workshop – New Jersey and National – Registers of Historic Places